This post was originally posted on Instagram in May 2020. It has been slightly modified.
Do you have a cause that is near and dear to your heart? Something you feel strongly about and want to support? It can be very challenging to feel like you have enough energy (spoons) to give any of your time away to things outside of self care and at home responsibilities.
If you are like me, you have things that you want to do to help maintain some normalcy amidst your chronic illness. I volunteer with an amazing organization called The Lancaster Farm Sanctuary. Now that I have 2 little ones, I am not at a point in my life where I can regularly go and actually volunteer at the farm Sanctuary. My way of helping right now is by sending emails/cards thanking those who donate to the organization. It allows me to stay involved and I still feel good helping 💚
So, how can you help your favorite organizations?!
1) Offer to send thank you notes to supporters who have donated to the charity you want to support
2) Make phone calls (reference phone calls for animal adoptions, coordination phone calls for events, solicitation for donation)
3) Share the organizations posts on social media, even if you are not even to help in person, sharing their posts and helping them gain exposure and a broader audience could bring in more donations, supporters and volunteers
4) Volunteer your time during an event. If they have a booth set up during an event, offer to take a shift and give information about the organization out to event attendees
5) Ask your organization of choice if there are things you can help with from home such as sending emails, online filing, fundraising, event planning, etc.
I know it can feel overwhelming having a Chronic Illness (or multiple), but if you are interested and feel like you have some time and a spare spoon every once in a while, reach out to an organization you support to see how you could possibly help.
I hope this post was helpful for you. What organizations do you all volunteer with?
#chronicpain #chronicillness #volunteering #volunteerworkn #animalrescue #farmsanctuary #spoonie #spoons #spoonielife #rheumatoidarthritis #fibromyalgia #endometriosis #migraines #volunteerfromhome #charitywork #charity #5waystovolunteerwithchronicillness